Three-layered pie, or an apple and berry shortbread pie, is a non-caloric bakery due to its basic flour layer’s thinness and large amount of soften fruit.
To bake an apple and berry shortbread pie you will need the next ingredients:
- 6 oz of all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 egg (a yolk only)
- 2,5 oz of butter
- 1,5 oz of mixed berry jam
- 1-2 apples
- Prep and Cook time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Sieve the flour, mix it with sugar and a pinch of salt to intensify the taste. Add cooled butter and stir with fingers until large flakes in a way the popular toppings – streusel and crumble – are done.
2. Separate and remove egg white that makes bakery stiff and hard. So, we won’t need it in our recipe. Keep kneading the dough with yolk only.
3. Knead until elastic and smooth and form the dough into a ball. Cover it with plastic wrap and place into a fridge for about 20 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough into a very thin sheet. Cover the dough with plastic wrap while rolling it out to keep a crust’s surface perfectly even. Remove the plastic wrap from one side and place the dough sheet into an oiled 8-inch tart pan or an ovenproof bowl. Remove the second sheet of plastic wrap.
5. Cut ½ inch from the crust’s edge and cover the dough with an oil parchment sheet. Pour no less than 1 pound of any cereals (kidney bean or lentil) on the parchment sheet and place the semi-crust into preheated oven for about 7-10 minutes. Bake at the temperature of 180 degree. Than get the crust out from the oven and remove the cereals and the parchment sheet.
6. Grease the slightly baked crust with tough and fragrant berry jam freely.
7. Peel juicy and thick apples and core them. Cut into random thin slices and place the apple cut on the jam. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar and put the pie back into the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Keep baking at the same temperature. Cool the baked apple and berry shortbread pie completely, take it out from the pan and decorate with powdered sugar.
So, the apple and berry shortbread pie is baked!
Enjoy your meal!