Let’s take a regular cabbage rolls recipe as a basis and replace the good old cabbage by Chinese leaves. These easy cabbage rolls are simpler to do thanks to Chinese leaves that are rolled better. The cooked dish’s fragrance is not annoying and its taste exceeds expectations.
To cook stuffed cabbage or so-called galumpkis you will need the next ingredients:
- 0,8 lb of ground meat (pork and beef 50/50)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion each
- 1,7 oz of rice
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3,5 oz of sour cream
- 2 tbsp of salad oil
- 2 bay leaves
Prep and Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Boil previously rinsed rice until semi-cooked. Then, place it under the cold tap water. Wait until all liquid pours down to get cooled, short-eating rice. Peel the vegetables and grate a large and juicy carrot. Chop an onion into medium-sized chunks. Fry the carrot-onion mix until soft using salad oil. Try to preserve the bright color and do not over dry the mix.
2. Combine the ground meat, made of 50/50 pork and beef, with sautéed veggies, rice, and dried spices. Stir until smooth.
3. Remove the white part of the cabbage where the leaves grow from. Grab your proven kitchen mallet and beat the hard places of each leaf. Place the beaten leaves into the boiling water for about 30-60 seconds. If you have bought a fresh head of Chinese cabbage, just boil its hard part without beating it.
4. Shake off the water from the boiled cabbage leaves. Start placing ground meat balls close to the leaf cut, roll leaves and seal its sides in.
5. Put the rolls tightly in an ovenproof dish.
6. Stir tomato paste, sour cream and approximately one glass of boiling water. Taste it, add salt and pepper if needed. Pour the tomato and sour cream mixture into the future cabbage rolls until all of them are covered. Add a couple of pepper seeds and bay leaves. Cover the dish with a lid and place it in the pre-heated oven. Cook at the temperature of 200 degrees for the first 5-7 minutes. As soon as the sauce boils, reduce the heat to 170 degrees and cook for about 40 minutes. Serve the cooked stuffed cabbage made of Chinese leaves with sour cream topping.
So, cabbage rolls are cooked!
Enjoy your meal!