We suggest taking a bite of an appetizer made of chickpeas – hummus, which is considered traditional in Syria, Israel, Lebanon, and other countries. This tasty and healthy dish from the Middle Eastern cuisine is long appreciated by the vegetarians and healthy diet followers all over the globe.
To cook hummus you will need the next ingredients:
- 7 oz of chickpeas
- 1 lemon
- 3,5 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of sesame
Prep and Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Protein: 12 g
Fat: 21 g
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Rinse the garbanzos (chickpeas) and leave it in the water for 4 hours at least. It might be more convenient for you to do it the evening before, so that you could start cooking the other day.
2. The next cooking stage is related to the sesame. Dry the white sesame on the preheated skillet for a minute. The fragrance intensifies at the high heat. You may use a sesame paste for this dish (so called thina, tahina/tahini).
3. Cook the swelled chickpeas that doubled in size after being in the water. Cook it in the ordinary water, without salt and at the medium heat under the slightly opened lid. Taste the peas if it is soft. Pour the hot broth in a separate bowl. Later on, we will use it to soften the thick chickpea mash.
4. We recommend removing the thick chickpeas peel that lifts up while cooking. Place the soft chickpeas into a deep bowl, add dried sesame and peeled garlic cloves. Combine all ingredients with immersion blender until you get a fine-grained puree.
5. Add a portion of a lemon juice into the puree. The citrus acid is necessary in this dish!
6. Salt and pepper as you wish and combine carefully. If your puree is too dense, add a broth and mix until smooth and silky.
7. Put the hummus in the dishes, decorate it with the random striations and fill it with olive oil. Add paprika, greens to contrast the color and non-mashed chickpeas before serving.
So, the hummus is cooked!
Enjoy your meal!