The combination of a whole chili pepper with several thyme leaves is able to fulfill even the vegetarian beet borscht with exciting, appetizing hints and rich, thick and embracing fragrance. Serve the nourishing beet soup with fat-free mayo or with a sour cream, as we usually do with traditional borscht.
To cook meatless beet borscht you will need the next ingredients:
- 1 whole chili pepper
- 5-7 thyme leaves
- 1 carrot, boot, onion each
- 1/3 head green cabbage
- 4-5 potatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp of salad oil, tomato paste each
- 1,8 oz of sweet pepper (defrost)
- salt, pepper, bay leaf, greens
Prep and Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
Protein: 1 g
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Bring 1,5 liter of water (approximately) to a boil, place there cabbage, cut into long thin strips, and thyme.
2. Put peeled and divided into random chunks potatoes – it may be cubes, strips or quarters. Put bay leaf and a pair or three black pepper seeds the next. Boil again and reduce the heat until medium-low. Cook under the lid without salt!
3. Meanwhile, cook the general filling that is necessary for this main dish. At first, heat the oil in a skillet with high sides to avoid oil spills. Then, fry the onion, cut in small cubes, until semi-transparent. After a minute or so put the grated juicy carrot in the skillet.
4. Add sweet pepper and hot chili rings without seeds to the sauté.
5. Sauté the vegetable chow-chow for about three minutes, add tomato paste and beet cut into cubes. Mix the ingredients, pour a soup ladle of water into the skillet, cover it with the lid and cook until vegs are completely softened. At the end of the process, taste the filling. Add salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar at your taste.
6. Transfer the beet filling into the pot and boil once again. Put the greens and garlic cloves, finely chopped, last. Put the borscht aside for several minutes.
So, the meatless beet borscht is cooked!
Enjoy your meal!