Let’s change a little the familiar recipe of traditional deruny, potato pancakes. We are going to combine the potato with hard cheese and corn flour, and use pork fat instead of oil to give the dish the unique taste and special delicious flavor. At the end, we will get amazingly tasty, brown and crispy-soft Ukrainian deruny with cheese. Serve the cooked deruny hot or cooled with sour cream and favourite greens topping.
To cook Ukrainian deruny with cheese you will need the next ingredients:
- 5-6 potatoes
- 1 egg and onion each
- 3 tbsp of corn flour
- 3,5 oz of hard cheese
- 1-1,7 oz of pork fat
- salt, pepper, thyme
- Prep and Cook time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Grater the peeled potato finely by means of a special grater or a kitchen machine. Add salt, fresh-ground black pepper and press off the extra liquid.
2. Add the needed portion of corn flour and grated cheese; add several leaves of spicy thyme and mix the ingredients once again.
3. Crack open one large chicken egg and combine the ingredients as smooth as possible.
4. Preheat the pan and place the pork fat pieces on its surface, wait half a minute until melted.
5. Put pancake-shaped potato mixture between the half-transparent pork fat and fry until brown on both sides at the medium-low heat.
6. Place the baking sheet with parchment and transfer the semi-cooked deruny there. Leave some space between rows. Put the sheet into preheated oven and bake at the 180-degree temperature for about 15-20 minutes. You may place the semi-cooked pancakes in an ovenproof bowl and bake under the lid with pork fat. In this case, you will get more tender and juicy deruny without crispy edges.
So, Ukrainian deruny with cheese are cooked!
Enjoy your meal!