Let’s replace the regular white cabbage with Chinese one, which have thinner, softer and sweeter leaves. This cabbage filling is also good for pies, patties, coulibiacs. As for the choux pastry dough that we take in our recipe, it is good with the other vegetables, mushrooms, and berries.
Serve homemade vegetable dumplings with the fried onions and chopped fresh greens topping. Mouth-watering dumplings with Chinese cabbage are an example of a delicious and nutritious meatless meal.
To cook dumplings with Chinese cabbage filling you will need the next ingredients:
- 1 cup of flour
- 3 tbs of oil (refined)
- 0,5 lbs of cabbage Chinese
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion each
- 3 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 Bay leaves
Prep and Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
Protein: 4 g
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. To cook a filling, heat the skillet greased with 1 tbsp of oil (choose salad or corn refined). Fry the finely chopped onion first. Leave a one third of it for final serving. Then add one big and juicy largely grated carrot. Sauté the mix on the low heat for about 4 minutes.
2. Add finely chopped cabbage leaves to the soften carrot and onion mix. Combine the ingredients and sauté 1-2 minutes at the same temperature.
3. Add a portion of any tomato paste (you may take ketchup even), a touch of salt, and a Bay leaf to the vegetables. Combine it again and pour 30-50 ml of rapidly boiling water there. Cover the lid and keep sautéing for about 10-15 minutes. Cool the cabbage after.
4. Meantime, let’s prepare the dough for our future dumplings. Pour the wheat flour into a deep bowl. Pour the rest 2 tbs of oil there and add a touch of salt.
5. Add ½ of glass with rapidly boiling water in the bowl. Be careful and don’t get your hands burnt. Mix the mass with a spoon first. A couple of minutes later, start kneading the dough by hand. Be quick for the mass cools fast.
6. Warm, soft, and pleasant for touching dough gets an elastic structure.
7. Divide the dough ball into the strip. Cut the stripe into small equal-sized rectangular pieces.
8. Roll pieces into small round sheets (3,15 inches in diameter). Place the Chinese cabbage filling in the centre. The vegetable mix must be completely cooled to escape dough sheets tearing.
9. Shape half moons, tightly sealing the opposite edges. If you wish, you may freeze the semi-product in the fridge.
10. Boil the dumplings with Chinese cabbage filling in the salted water (boiling). Add a bay leaf into the water to intensify the fragrance. Keep the dumplings boiling for a 1-1,5 minutes after they float to the surface. Drain them after.
So, dumplings with Chinese cabbage filling are cooked!
Enjoy your meal!