Take this simplified version of pea soup on board, if you avoid eating meat and smoked products and adhere to a meatless diet. We won’t speak about more delicate-textured lentils, chickpeas, mung, and beans. Today we are going to make our choice on the legumes with more pronounced flavor.
To cook the vegetarian split pea soup, you will need the next ingredients:
- 5,3 oz of dried split peas
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of oil (refined)
Prep and Cook time: 2 hour
Yield: 6 servings
Protein: 2 g
Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Rinse dried split peas under the tap water several times, washing away the pale robbery. Pour 2-2,5 glass of cold water on the peas and let the beans swell during the night.
2. Replace water once again before cooking, and put the swelled beans in a pot with thick bottom. Pour 3,3-3,5 pt of water in the pot and cook until water rapidly boils. Remove the appeared foam. Reduce the heat and keep cooking with the semi-open lid for about 1-1,5 hours. Do not salt so that the peas could soften faster. Take the soft peas out from the pot using a perforated spoon and put it into a separate bowl.
3. Puree the peas with immersion blender and put it back into hot broth. Thus, the soup will become thick, silky, and nutritious.
4. A carrot and onion sauté will serve the main filling of our meatless split pea soup. Choose juicy, sweet carrot and grate it largely. Peel the onion and garlic cloves and cut into small cubes. Heat the skillet and fry the onion with the oil. Add garlic and grated carrot, throw a touch of salt and black pepper. Mix and sauté at the low heat. If required, add a ladle of broth.
5. Peel the potatoes, julienne it and add to the pot with pureed peas. Add bay leaf and pepper seeds. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Check if the potatoes cooked. Add the orange filling. Salt, pepper and leave the soup for a couple of minutes to unify all fragrances.
7. Add greens. We took fried fennel. Remove the pot from the stove after a minute. Serve the cooked tasty vegetarian split pea soup with garlic croutons.
So, the vegetarian split pea soup is cooked!
Enjoy your meal!